Thursday, January 28, 2010

Yay, Maquettes!

So, we finally started building the armatures for our maquettes for character design class on Tuesday night. Today in class we continued on in the process of building them up from their wire frames. It seems to be moving fast to me, but my instructor assures us that it's all in the details.

This is the armature of the maquette, which was made with a combination of 16 gauge hardware wire, floral wire and hot glue. To get the proportions right, we made a drawing to scale of the character in pose and cut wire to size.

Next, to bulk up the "skeleton" we added aluminum foil (and some more hot glue) to give it some form. This also prevents the sculpture from getting too heavy and breaking at narrow point s when the sculpey is baked.

And, here it is with some sculpey slathered all over it. It's not much too look at now, but in a week or two, it should come out halfway decent. :)


  1. That looks like a fun class. It's good our group doesn't get it. We would waste a lot of time sculpting penises for shock comedy.

  2. I can't even begin to imagine Steve's reaction.

  3. maquettes, I am jealous.
    This is looking good, can't wait to see the finish.