Sunday, June 20, 2010


I've been super lagging over the past couple of months with my art, mostly because I wasn't satisfied my how I was painting in Photoshop. For some reason real life painting skills didn't seem to be compatible with a digital medium. I've been working on this piece slooooowly for the past few weeks, and I think I've finally gotten to something that I feel is worthy of posting.

I know there should/could be more of a background, but I'm on a bit of a Leyendecker kick right now, so I can't be bothered. I also had the hardest time deciding what to draw/paint (being given assignments in school had kinda sapped my ideas away temporarily) so I went on a character generator for some ideas.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Yay, Maquettes!

So, we finally started building the armatures for our maquettes for character design class on Tuesday night. Today in class we continued on in the process of building them up from their wire frames. It seems to be moving fast to me, but my instructor assures us that it's all in the details.

This is the armature of the maquette, which was made with a combination of 16 gauge hardware wire, floral wire and hot glue. To get the proportions right, we made a drawing to scale of the character in pose and cut wire to size.

Next, to bulk up the "skeleton" we added aluminum foil (and some more hot glue) to give it some form. This also prevents the sculpture from getting too heavy and breaking at narrow point s when the sculpey is baked.

And, here it is with some sculpey slathered all over it. It's not much too look at now, but in a week or two, it should come out halfway decent. :)

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Okay, so that was a total lie.

So much for last post of the night! But I just found my pirate images, so I decided to put 'em up, why not? Not like I should be sleeping, or anything...

This is one of the shaded storyboards I did for my animations basics class. Which for my program, is not about learning to animate, but learning all the stages that an animated show/movie goes through during production. This frame shows my pirates running from the tavern in which they caused a brawl...

This is another storyboard which shows the brawl starting to get underway.

This is my male pirate character (female one to be coloured and uploaded soon, and by soon I mean eventually and by that I mean hopefully not never). Drawn in pencil, coloured in Photoshop.

Okay, that's it for tonight. I mean it. Seriously.

Oh Hai.

This whole blog thing seems a bit strange to me but who knows? I may learn to like it. Since this is supposed to be showing off my fantastic art skillz, let's get on with it.

This as you might have noticed, is my banner. It's also the result of my LOTR based project in one of my classes last semester.

This one is based on a level that our teacher, Alex Ahilov created for us to design concept elements for. Our class decided to go with the theme of an abandoned Maya city. The process for this was making a screen capture in the level and then painting over it; adding light sources, details and defining structures to the city. This transformed it from a city of blocky towers to one with a distinct Mayan feel.

That's all for tonight, hope to post again soon.